Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chicken Curry

A teacher in Japan gave me this recipe and it's great! This is Japan friendly!

Chicken Curry

1/4 C butter
1/4 C minced onion
1 T curry powder
1/3 C plus 2 T flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp ginger (I like to use twice this)
2 C chicken bullion
2 C milk**
4 C cooked chicken, cut up
1 tsp lemon juice
cayenne pepper and/or crushed chili peppers (to add the "heat" factor)
Rice - cooked
Directions:

Get rice cooking! Melt butter in sauce pan. Saute onion and curry powder. Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly (will be thick). Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Add chicken and lemon juice. Spice with cayenne. Heat. Serve over rice. Serves 8

Relishes: roasted almonds, pineapple, crumbled bacon, raisins, coconut, mandarin oranges, etc.

** My marvelous sister-in-law cooked this tonight with coconut milk. She used 2.5 cups of chicken broth and more or less 1.5 coconut milk in lieu of milk. Delicious!!!! Gives it a wonderfully sweet flavor (if you like sweet, it's great). So, I will add a lactose intolerant friendly label.

2 comments:

  1. Is this the curry we had at your place once? I thought I remembered that that one had chocolate in it, but I could be wrong.

    Thanks so much for posting these recipes! I've snagged several of them. (Though I only just clicked over today.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, this isn't the one. This is a light colored curry, the other is much darker and has eggplant in it.

    ReplyDelete