Saturday, December 26, 2009

Beef Stroganoff

Love this food. Take note of the onion options and base it to your preferences. Can be made while living in Japan.

Beef Stroganoff
(feeds us with some left over – sometimes)

1.5 # of steak
4 Tbsp. butter
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ # fresh or 4 oz canned mushrooms
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tsp. onion powder*
1.5 c hot water**
1 – 2 Tbsp corn starch
½ c. sour cream
½ tsp. dill weed (optional)

Directions:

Dissolve bullion in hot water. Brown steak in butter. When cooked, add pepper, mushrooms, onion powder (or onion), and beef stock. Cook some. Mix cornstarch into meat till a little thicker than desired. Add sour cream (this will thin the sauce).

Sirloin is a good meat for this.

* In Japan, I couldn’t find onion powder. Therefore, I cut up a small –medium onion and added it. I liked it so much I continue to sub out onion for onion powder.
** Sister recommendation: "Try adding a cup of burgundy cooking wine instead of water. Yum."

Notes:
- I use about 1/3 – ½ this amount of meat. This may be why it doesn’t fill me up as much.
- Serve this with: Egg noodles or udon. You might also be able to use it with rice with good effect. I haven’t tried it yet.
- I don’t use the dill weed.

No comments:

Post a Comment