Sunday, January 10, 2010

White Chili - Vegetarian Potential?

Okay, we just ate a white chili recipe that is great! I'll star the parts I think you might be able to switch out if vegetarian is your preference. Having not tried it myself, I have no idea if it will work. Should anyone try it, please let me know how it goes!

White Chili (ingredients and directions together)

1 lg. onion, chopped
5 cans (15 - 16 oz) Great Northern Bean, drained
3 cans chicken broth *
- Mix and simmer about 10 minutes

3 c. cubed and cooked chicken **
- Add and simmer for 20 more minutes

1 can diced green chilis (2 - 3 fresh)
2 tsp oregano
4 tsp cumin
6 - 8 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp or less cayenne pepper (this is the heat factor)
- Simmer 30 minutes
- Before serving add: 1 c. sour cream
3 c. grated Monterey Jack
- Let cheese melt and serve

Freezes well.

* I'm guessing this could be subbed out with vegetable broth.
** I'm guessing momen tofu (more firm tofu) would work in lieu of chicken. I'm just guessing on this, but I think it could work. The tofu has to be drained and you may want to add it a little later. However, if it should liquefy, then you have a really healthy, tasty broth with your beans.

2 comments:

  1. raven, this one you can make in a crock pot as well :D and it is FABULOUS!! very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah, for that information. I look forward to using a crock pot to make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete