Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stuffed Pasta Shells - Crock Pot

Okay, so I debated on whether to post this recipe. It's good, but it's nothing truly great. However, I think it holds potential. This is a "needs work" recipe.

I confess; it may not be the meal's fault. I didn't ask my spouse to doctor up the generic spaghetti sauce I got for this (it was on sale, I couldn't pass it up).

Our assessments are as follows:

1. It needs a good, strong spaghetti sauce. If the spaghetti sauce is mediocre, the meal will be as well.
2. More cheese. I might suggest more Mozzarella in the shells or possibly some Parmesan put into the shells too.
3. More garlic. (But, doesn't everything needs more garlic?)
4. Possibly adding some zucchini or yellow squash might help to enrich the flavor.

If you are interested in a good base to start a Stuffed Pasta Shell recipe, here it is. It needs more punch to it than this recipe gives. If you have a great spaghetti sauce - you're probably half way there. After that, just do some "to taste" work.

If anyone decides to try this meal, please share with me any positive results you have. I would love to know!


Stuffed Pasta Shells

1/2 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. Seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp. minced garlic
1.5 tsp. dried parsley
1 egg, beaten
18 jumbo pasta shells, partially cooked*
2 jars (15.5 oz each) spaghetti sauce
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Combine beef, onion, mozzarella, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, and egg. Stuff partially cooked pasta shells with spoonful of meat mixture. Pour one jar of spaghetti sauce in greased 4 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Place stuffed shells on top of sauce. Pour remaining sauce evening over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low heat 4 - 5 hours. Do not overcook. Makes 4 - 6 servings.

* Only cook jumbo shells 7 minutes in boiling water. They will become mushy if overcooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment