Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Penne with Braised Squash and Greens

Had this last night, and it was quite good. I couldn't find any smoked tofu and didn't get any other kind - which was a bad choice. I think this recipe would've been great with it. Also, I couldn't find Swiss Chard so I subbed in spinach instead - which was quite tasty.

For this recipe, you either need tofu of some kind (try a more firm tofu, soft tofu will be useless and just become a pasty coating from my experience) or some chicken or something. You could probably bolster up the butternut amount some to help if you don't have tofu, but really, this would be way good with it.

A note to those having to sub chard with spinach (or kale). First, spinach is not quite as thick so it takes less time to cook. Second, when I put my 3/4 bunch of spinach in I thought, "Holy cow, that's a ton! It'll drown out everything else." How silly of me. I should've remember that spinach cooks down... way down. Go with a full bunch. If you love spinach, try a bunch and a half. It adds a great taste.

Lactose Intolerant and Japan: I think you can leave out the Parmesan and still be happy. I will tell you that I noticed the cheese taste and it was a great flavor in the mix. However, I think it will still be good even without it.

Japan eaters will you let me know if butternut squash can be located over there? I never tried to look for it, so I have no idea if it's available or not. If not, let me know and I will remove this label. Thanks.

Penne with Braised Squash and Greens

2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounce(s) cubed smoked tofu
1 medium onion, chopped
3 clove(s) garlic, minced
crushed red pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
1 pound(s) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
1 bunch(es) Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
8 ounce(s) whole-wheat penne, rigatoni or fusilli
1/2 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
5. Return the tofu to the pan, add broth and squash; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Start cooking the pasta until just tender, according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
7. Add chard to squash mixture and stir to immerse. Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the squash mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper to the pot of drained noodles. Toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment