Saturday, November 17, 2018

Banana Bread

So, this is a recipe for Banana Bread. Not Banana Bread with Nuts or Banana Bread with Raisins. It is a bread in which the dominant taste is sweet banana. Why? Because we don't like that other stuff. Should you insist on ruining this delightful recipe with nuts or raisins, I will put a couple of measurements at the bottom.

Banana Bread (makes two loaves)*

2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1/4 c buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
**

Directions:

1. Grease and flour bread pans. Preheat oven at 325.

Now, technically, you can just mix all that stuff above together, toss it into the pans and go. However, in case you like lots of steps, I shall tell you how I do it. I have a mixer. I use speed 1 or 2 for all the mixing. Which speed I use is completely based on the whim of the day. I use a 1/4 cup and a 1/2 tsp for all the measuring. Then I don't have to wash more than those two items and the bowl.

2.  Toss in the 2 bananas and let them get mashed. Put in the eggs. Mix it and then add the sugar.
3. Add the flour, buttermilk, and vegetable oil. (Yes, I use the same 1/4 cup. Just do the dry, then the wet.) Make sure all of that gets mixed up well.
4. Use a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon if you don't want to have to wash more than one spoon. Now put in salt, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla. If you have lumpy baking powder like me, I recommend making sure those chunks are broken up so you don't get a nasty lump in your bread later. No one wants to be the person who gets that.
5. Now that everything is mixed up, divide the batter between the two pans you expertly greased and floured. Pop it into the oven for around 35-45 minutes. Use the toothpick test to make sure it's done. (If you don't know this test, it means to stick a toothpick into the bread, pull it out, and see if it's clean. If it is, you're gold. If not, it needs more time.)

* You can do half the recipe and it's still quite tasty. Most likely, you'll wish you'd just stuck to making two.

** Nuts - 1 c. Raisins - 1/2 c.

No comments:

Post a Comment