Friday, February 12, 2010

Spicy Potato Soup - Crock Pot

Hello! Sorry to be so long in the writing. We ate this on Wednesday, and yesterday was pizza 'cause I was feeling lazy and sick.

The deal with this meal is that I was sick when we made it so I couldn't taste a thing. This makes it difficult for me to do a full analysis on what it tasted like. However, my spouse had some input:

"It's incredibly simple and that's the best thing about it. It's more bland, but with pepper and salt, that improves the taste. I also think that this soup could use some peas."

So, there you have it. I will put the recipe below. I personally added a ton of hot sauce 'cause I like spicy and that's about the only thing I might've been able to register. :) We did add salt and pepper to our bowls individually. I'm guessing if peas were to be added, it needs to be near the end so they don't go mushy. Also, add another potato if you want something with a bit more substance... there's a lot of broth otherwise (I'm someone who likes stew-y-er soups). Last thing, we used ground beef.

Spicy Potato Soup

1 lb. ground beef or sausage, browned and drained
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, chopped
5 to 6 cups water
3 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp hot pepper sauce

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in greased 4.5 - 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat 7 - 9* hours or on high heat 3 - 4 hours. Makes 10 - 12 servings.

Variation: Omit black pepper and hot pepper sauce and replace with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning for a milder soup.

* To get the potatoes cooked, you're going to go for 8 - 9 hours. You might be able put the crock pot on high for the first or last hour to get them softer faster. Just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment